Winter means time to gear up to maintain your garden! Plants become dormant under snow and frost. The foliage of annual flowers and vegetables, that if left out, cause pathogens, disease and insects during the winter. Make sure you treat your garden well during winters to make it ready for hot summer!
Don’t you exactly know how to start the work? No problem!
Oeco Garden Rooms is suggesting following handy tips for your beautiful garden:
- Lawn Maintenance:
Prepare your lawn for the summer ahead. Winter is best time because soil is activated during winters absorbs energy and nutrients that are essential for plants.
- Clear all the grass.
- Dig out the whole area; rake it properly and let it get settled.
- Make sure you spread the clumps of soil to give the best base for the lawn.
- Keep the lawn clean and well treated with herbicides. Make sure weeds don’t pop out.
- Mow the lawn regularly during winters. Length of the grass should be kept at a medium to let the sunlight reach properly.
- Never forget to rake the fallen leaves lest it should cause fungal diseases.
- Don’t Ignore the Plants:
The plants don’t die in winters. They become dormant. So, make sure that:
- The dead stems and foliage are cleared from the garden. Remember, they spread diseases.
- Mulch is life line of winter garden and must be spread all over the garden. It will help retain moisture, prevent erosion and enrich the soil for plants.
- Secure The Equipments:
Since, winter is time for rest, mowers and other heavy lawn equipments are not required. So, before storing them, see carefully that:
- Battery is removed
- It is out of fuel. If not, make it!
- Blades are clean.
- External pipes of machines are covered with plastic of any coarse fabric.
- It is kept in dry place.
- Tools are lubricated to prevent corrosion.
The Latest Trends in Garden Maintenance:
Carefully maintained garden deserves to be beautifully decorated. Here are some of the suggestions:
One of the best ideas for your garden is landscaping. This is highly time and moneysaving option for your garden. It keeps you from the tedious task of mulching, pruning, trimming and mowing the garden. To create beautiful environment, you should go with this idea. It requires little maintenance.
- Keep Pots and Containers:
If you are fed up of large berry bushes and want to make more space, get used to pots. Place the berry pots wherever you like in the garden. You can even hang them. They are easy to maintain and great idea to give a unique touch.
- Little Kitchen Garden:
Herbs are popular as well as very useful. They can be grown in quite small areas like window sills or small pots.
- Garden Rooms:
This idea is also becoming popular, especially for those who want to make home office or need sometime alone for their hobbies. Insulated garden rooms give a decorated look and can be used in all seasons.
- The Garden Gadgets:
Tech-oriented gardens always seem attractive. Plant sensors, automated sprinkles, robot lawn mowers, blowers, solar tiles or scarecrow can be good options to decorate your garden.